Thursday, July 22, 2010

Devotional - Matt 25:31-40

Feed My Sheep
Team Devotional
South Africa

Looking at missions as a family is different than looking as a single.  We have a whole family to consider.  Both Tony and I felt that we were heading to Russia.  Tony’s desire is to do disaster relief, development kind of work.  I am a teacher by education, certified American Sign Language interpreter by trade and a Deaf advocate from birth.  So when OM said that Russia wouldn’t work with our skill set.   Was it Russia or Disaster work?  We responded that it was disaster work.

The placement women at the US office said she would look and see what work is out there– She first came back with Austria.  I had seen the job listing in Austria and thought it would fit with Tony’s skill set.  I wasn’t sure how it fit with mine but it seemed a confirmation to me.  Then the door for Austria started to close.  Since we are not a member of the European Union and didn’t have a way to become one.  We had opened up where we were “willing” to go to, any former Russian country and most of the “Stans.” 

The placement advisor had worked in a stan herself and had on a few occasions suggested it as a needy place.  My gut reaction – “I am not taking my children to that country!”  I was dead set against it.  She explained the work they have there – a Deaf school and disaster work.  I saw that the work there fit with both my skills and Tony’s  - it was almost too good a fit.   I also could see that Tony was very interested in it.  I was not willing to even discuss it – I was not going to go there!

Then I decided I should pray about it.  I sensed God calling me to pray.  I was feeding Lucy – who at the time was probably about 1 month old.  I felt God asking me Why not?  I told God.  “I can’t take my children there God.”
Who’s Children?  God asked.
Okay your Children – but you gave them to me!
Very quietly God said – “Feed my Sheep.  The sheep I give you, not the ones you want to feed.”
After laying Lucy down to sleep I went downstairs and I told Tony  - okay we can’t rule it out.  We will head in this direction until, or unless God shows us something different.
In the back of my mind I still heard God’s voice – Feed my Sheep. 
What does it mean to feed God’s sheep?

Sometime later I decided to do a word study.  How many of you have done a word study before?
I knew the verse that feed my sheep came from so I started there: 
John 21:15-17  (read it from the bible – myself or someone else)
From that I came up with a list of words
Feed, Tend, Sheep, lamb, shepherd, disciple, world, Go and bread
I won’t go over all the verses I found; there were a lot of them.  I read them and came to:
Matt 25: 31-40  - here was my answer – How do I feed God’s sheep?  It boils down to this portion of scripture.  

I was hungry – you fed me
I was thirsty – you gave me drink
I was a stranger – you became my friend
I was naked – you gave me clothes
I was sick – you visited me
I was in prison – you came to be with me

When did we do this?  VS. 40.  When you did this to the least among you, you did it to me.

So the question you have to answer for yourself is who are the least in the world today for you. 
What sheep does God want you to feed, tend, clothe? 

Is it the homeless?
The orphaned?
The mentally ill?
Is it the street children?
Is it those who are in slavery?

The Sheep God has for us are all over the world, they may even be in your backyard.  Just be willing to Go where God leads and be used by him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment