Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Story into world missions - Aberdeen - Girl meets Boy - the short version

I moved to Aberdeen the spring of 1998, my friend Heather had a job here and we had always said we would be roommates one day before we got married.  We even said - go to some state somewhere and live see what happens.  We did some local work through our church to lower income children picking them up for a weekly bible lesson and bringing them to church.

We decided to start an adult Bible study - we sent flyers to all the churches in town.  We were very non-denominational!   Our goal - well to meet Christian men of course, but also to make friends with like minded people.   We held the bible study at the Red Rooster Coffee House.  Tony came to that Bible study and well it wasn't love at first sight.  He kind of had to grow on me and he was, well --- clueless.

The Bible study started in Sept of 1998 and I would say it was about March or April before I realized that he was a pretty good catch.  I was looking for a teaching job, in May Heather and I moved into a tiny apartment with the idea that I would be moving by Sept.

I invited myself over to Tony's to watch TV since we didn't have cable and I would pray for him.  At the end of May, I prayed and "told" God I would stop looking for a teaching job and give Him a year to get Tony and I together.  I prayed, prayed, prayed, prayed and prayed some more.

I almost took some bad advice and told him my feelings but Tony himself told me that if someone needs to spill all their "love" out they are not ready.  So I held my tongue and prayed some more.  I went to Hawaii for my Russian teammate's wedding reception to a Russian friend, prayed and came back and prayed.

Then on Sept. 12 1999 Tony and I tried to get a bunch of people to go see a movie and no one wanted to go with us.  So we went ourselves.  During that movie Tony took my hand and held it.  He himself doesn't know what made him do that.  I think God picked his hand up and put it on mine!  At that moment I knew that we would get married.   Tony didn't yet but I knew!

Aberdeen
1998-1999

No comments:

Post a Comment